Our Buildings

Main Church: 5901 Mineral Mill Road, Sykesville, MD 21784

Fellowship Hall: 5971 Mineral Hill Road, Sykesville, MD 21784

Old Oakland Church: 5971 Mineral Hill Road, Sykesville, MD 21784

History of Oakland UMC

        The history of Oakland United Methodist Church is very Interesting. The first church, known as Old Oakland, was built in 1852 on land donated by the Beam family. But long before that, local families were meeting in a private home owned by the Oursler family. The village of Oakland, a woolen mill town was in the immediate area and many of those families became the backbone of the church.
        When the civil war was ravaging our country, it affected our locals and divided the congregation. The two groups, North and South, used the same building but worshiped at different times.  And so, in 1892, the Northerners built the second church, which became known as New Oakland on land donated by the Bennett family. This has been used by both congregations since their “Unification” in 1942.
         At Old Oakland, on the corner of Oakland and Mineral Hill roads, you will find a very modern activity building, a parsonage home and a perpetual care cemetery.
         The activity hall is used by scout troops, group meetings, picnics, auctions and our very popular Christmas in the Country Bazaar held once a year in November.
       Contributed by Cecelia Kelly, Church Historian